Zachary S. Roeling is a member of the firm's Family Law Team. Zac strives to balance vigorous representation of clients with the understanding that legal matters involving personal relationships require sensitivity and a resolution-oriented approach.
Zac began his legal career at a prominent Denver-based domestic relations and estate planning firm where he litigated divorce, custody, legal separation, and probate matters for a variety of clients across Colorado. He also gained experience in estate planning, including wills, trusts, and pre- and post-nuptial agreements.
In law school, Zac received the top grade in his Family Law course and participated in the Advanced Family Law practicum led by the Honorable Angela Arkin of the 18th Judicial District. As a student attorney in the Mediation & Arbitration Clinic, Zac also successfully mediated several cases in Denver County and District Courts. Prior to his work in the Clinic, he also interviewed clients and assisted staff attorneys with family law issues at Colorado Legal Services. His work there helped him gain an intimate understanding of the need for attorneys to support their communities through pro bono representation.
Zac, a Colorado native, is a classically trained pianist and enjoys practicing and performing in the Metro Area. In 2009 and 2010, he taught English to elementary and middle-school French students in the Eure-et-Loir just west of Paris. He speaks fluent French, and returns to France to visit his friends when possible.
Areas of Practice
- Divorce and Legal Separation
- Allocation of Parental Responsibilities (Custody)
- Post-Decree Modifications of Custody, Maintenance, and Child Support
- Relocation Matters
- Same-Sex Civil Unions, Custody, and Divorce Matters
- Probate Administration
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Colorado, 2014
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law, Denver, Colorado
- J.D. - 2014
- Honors: Robert B. Yegge Memorial Scholarship
- Honors: President, DU OUTLaws
- Honors: Family Law
- University of Colorado at Boulder
- B.A. - 2009
- Honors: Catherine Jacob Lamont Scholarship in the Humanities
- Honors: Dean’s Scholarship, College of Arts and Sciences
- Major: English Literature and French
- What a Tangled Web We Weave: Dissolution Remedies for Non-Marital and Part-Marital Relationships,” Family Law Institute, Colorado Bar Association, Breckenridge, CO, August 2016
- “Civil Unions Judicial Toolbox,” with Kim Willoughby, May 2014, for the Colorado Judicial Conference in June 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Liaison for Family Law, Colorado Bar Association Young Lawyers Division
- Colorado Bar Association, Family Law Section, Trust and Estates Section, Litigation Section, Young Lawyers Division
- Denver Bar Association
- Colorado LGBT Bar Association
- National LGBT Bar Association