Leaders in litigation

Colorado: Possible bizarre sentences if child support is not paid

In cases where children’s parents are not together, there is the opportunity for difficulty with child custody and child support. It can often be that a Colorado parent who is not the main custodial parent may have to pay child support in order to help care for their children. Should someone fail to come forward with the amount stated in the terms of child support, it is possible that they could face criminal charges and/or sentences. One man recently was so sentenced and with quite a unique specification.

Coloradans know that it is possible for sentences of felonies to affect many different aspects of someone’s life, but a recent story shows just how far a ruling can go. A man who is not from our state must reportedly declare to every female he talks with that he is a felon for failing to adequately support his children financially within the first three minutes of their meeting. This particular, if bizarre, requirement is one that likely is intended to push the man to come up with the funds for his children, for should he not, it is likely that potential complications could ensue.

This is not the first time, however, that something like this has happened. We’ve mentioned before the importance of child support and how it can be detrimental to someone’s reputation and livelihood should they fail to pay their due amounts, but some sentences have been taking the matter to a new level. One other case involves a man being ordered not to procreate again until he could sufficiently pay his child support for his other nine offspring.

Coloradans struggling with their situation, whether you are the custodial parent or not, may wish to discuss the circumstances and possibilities with an attorney who specializes in such practices. When it comes to child support, there are often so many different things that are needed for children to grow and stay healthy that the issue can be very important for a family. Should it be necessary, working with a lawyer on the matter may help you to know more options about a possible modification or change in the terms of the agreement to make the situation better.

Source: startribune.com, “Wisc. judge orders man sentenced for failing to pay child support not to have more children,” The Associated Press, Jan. 17, 2013


Call 303-395-4773 or email Us Today to get started


Litigation is a journey. This is a journey we have taken with our clients a countless number of times. If you face the uncertainty, risk, fear, anger, or disbelief that comes with the prospect of going through a legal dispute, the law firm of Ciancio Ciancio Brown, P.C. will help you through it.