Ciancio Ciancio Brown, P.C.
Book Now

Denver (303) 395-4773 Broomfield (303) 872-8919

Breckenridge (970) 285-3077 Toll-Free (800) 746-3560

We want to assure you during these challenging times that Ciancio Ciancio Brown, P.C. is open for business and providing our full range of legal services. Our attorneys, paralegals, and staff are available to meet with you for new and existing legal matters by conference call and video conferencing. Please call our main line at 303-451-0300 and we will get you connected. We are here to assist you with all of your ongoing legal needs.

Leaders in Litigation

Property division of a home during divorce

Some Colorado couples may mistakenly believe that when they end their marriage, they are also ending their joint financial commitments. Any debt or assets that were in a person's name when they were married are still seen as belonging to both parties after a divorce. This can cause significant problems with a person's credit score and debt-to-income ratio, especially where a house is concerned if a couple does not sell it.

It might be logical to think that if people get divorced and one of them moves out of a home that they are no longer responsible for it. However, this is not the case from a lender's perspective. The only way to protect one's credit if an ex misses a mortgage payment is to get one's name off the loan. This can be accomplished by refinancing and putting only the person's name who is living in the home on the mortgage. If an ex does not qualify for a new mortgage, then selling the home is a solution.

Refinancing to get someone's name off the loan might be the only way that person can qualify for a new loan as well. Even if a divorce decree awards a house to someone's ex, a lender is still going to consider the debt of that home when deciding whether to give someone a loan for a new house. Something else to be wary of is buying a new home while still married because spouses will have a legal interest in the new home. If one cannot wait until a divorce is finalized, he or she should ask their ex to sign a quit claim deed to release interest in the new house.

One of the difficult parts of property division is figuring out what everything is worth and which assets someone may be entitled to. A family law attorney may be able to assist with valuation and help resolve any property division issues.

Source:, "How to Divide Your House in a Divorce", Scott Sheldon, July 09, 2014

Email us your case details

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Broomfield Office
390 Interlocken Crescent
Suite 350
Broomfield, CO 80021

Toll Free: 800-746-3560
Phone: 303-872-8919
Fax: 303-464-8000
Broomfield Law Office Map

Denver Office
1660 Lincoln Street
Suite 2000
Denver, CO 80264

Toll Free: 800-746-3560
Phone: 303-395-4773
Denver Law Office Map

Breckenridge Office
106 North French Street
Suite 230
Breckenridge, CO 80424

Toll Free: 800-746-3560
Phone: 970-285-3077
Breckenridge Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.