Ciancio Ciancio Brown, P.C.
Book Now

Denver (303) 395-4773 Broomfield (303) 872-8919

Breckenridge (970) 285-3077 Toll-Free (800) 746-3560

Denver (303) 395-4773 Toll-Free (800) 746-3560

Leaders in Litigation

Colorado child support orders

In Colorado, a parent can obtain a child support order either by applying at their local child support enforcement office or obtaining one through the state judicial system. When an order is issued, the other parent will be required to make his or her ordered payments. If payments are not made, enforcement actions will be taken.

Parents may sometimes be confused about issues regarding parenting time orders and child support orders. For example, if one parent refuses to honor a parenting time order, the other parent may then believe it is fair to cease making child support payments. However, this is inaccurate, as parenting time orders and child support orders are separate from and independent of each other.

Child support must be paid even if the other parent is not allowing visitation of the child. A parent must file a motion in court in order to enforce a parenting time or child support order. In order to obtain child support, a parent can file a motion with their local court or go to the child support office at their local Department of Human Services.

Child support is geared toward providing a child with the standard of living the child would have enjoyed if his or her parents had remained together. Parents who receive a child support order must comply. If a parent's financial or living circumstances have changed, he or she could consider filing a modification in court concerning the support amount.

Source: Colorado department of Human Services, "First Steps", October 29, 2014

Email us your case details

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Westminster Office
8704 Yates Drive
Westminster, CO 80031

Toll Free: 800-746-3560
Phone: 303-451-0300
Map & Directions

Denver Office
1660 Lincoln Street
Suite 2000
Denver, CO 80264

Toll Free: 800-746-3560
Phone: 303-395-4773
Denver Law Office Map

Breckenridge Office
106 North French Street
Suite 230
Breckenridge, CO 80424

Toll Free: 800-746-3560
Phone: 970-285-3077
Breckenridge Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.