Ciancio Ciancio Brown, P.C.
Book Now

Denver (303) 395-4773 Broomfield (303) 872-8919

Breckenridge (970) 285-3077 Toll-Free (800) 746-3560

Denver (303) 395-4773 Toll-Free (800) 746-3560

Leaders in Litigation

How can someone modify a child support order?

In Colorado, child support orders can be changed by filing a request with the local child support enforcement office or by filing a motion to modify child support in court. Until and unless a requested change is approved and the order modified, payments under the existing order are required to continue.

When people have child support cases first opened through the applicable agency, the amount of child support owed is determined by the state's child support guidelines according to the relative income of the parties. For TANF cases, the office automatically reviews the support order every three years. In non-TANF cases, a review can be requested by either party at any time when their has been a substantial change in circumstances.

People are also able to seek a change in ordered support through filing a motion to modify child support with the appropriate court in their jurisdiction if the child support was initially ordered as a part of a dissolution or custody proceeding. Additionally, if people had a previous order through Child Support Enforcement but not through the court, they can file a motion with the court at any time regarding their child support and custody in order to seek changes.

Judges may grant a modification of child support in situations in which the parent who is ordered to pay has a significant decrease in income due to loss of employment or unforeseen medical expenses. Other situations in which child support may be modified include a change in the child custody arrangement. A family law attorney can provide further guidance to a client who is seeking such a modification.

Source: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, "How are child support orders generally changed?", October 23, 2014

Email us your case details

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Westminster Office
8704 Yates Drive
Westminster, CO 80031

Toll Free: 800-746-3560
Phone: 303-451-0300
Map & Directions

Denver Office
1660 Lincoln Street
Suite 2000
Denver, CO 80264

Toll Free: 800-746-3560
Phone: 303-395-4773
Denver Law Office Map

Breckenridge Office
106 North French Street
Suite 230
Breckenridge, CO 80424

Toll Free: 800-746-3560
Phone: 970-285-3077
Breckenridge Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.