Ciancio Ciancio Brown, P.C.
Book Now

Denver (303) 395-4773 Broomfield (303) 872-8919

Breckenridge (970) 285-3077 Toll-Free (800) 746-3560

We want to assure you during these challenging times that Ciancio Ciancio Brown, P.C. is open for business and providing our full range of legal services. Our attorneys, paralegals, and staff are available to meet with you for new and existing legal matters by conference call and video conferencing. Please call our main line at 303-451-0300 and we will get you connected. We are here to assist you with all of your ongoing legal needs.

Leaders in Litigation

Property division in Colorado, and how it works

Property division is a complex area of divorce law, and when it comes to this complex area, there are two schools of thought that dominate the discussion: community property and equitable distribution. Community property, which essentially gives each spouse a 50 percent stake in any marital assets, is not of any concern here in Colorado, because we don't abide by that set of laws.

We follow equitable distribution in Colorado, and though that may sound like it will mean that each spouse gets a "fair" slice of the pie, that is not necessarily how it works. Equitable distribution means that a judge will determine what "fair" actually means for the splitting couple, given the circumstances of the couple.

So, what does that mean? Well, "fair" could mean that each spouse gets 50 percent of what's at stake. It could also mean that one spouse gets 75 percent and the other gets 25 percent. It depends on the case and it depends on the spouses (and their circumstances).

With that in mind, under equitable distribution there are certain assets that could be exempt from the property division process. A good example of this would be gifts that are given to one spouse. On the other side of the coin, any assets that were purchased with commingled funds would be given to just one of the spouses should a judge rule in that way.

It is important to remember in these property division discussions that you and your spouse will have to deal with each other, and you need to be as respectful and collaborative as possible to get through these important matter.

Source: FindLaw, "Divorce Property Division FAQ," Accessed June 5, 2015

Email us your case details

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Broomfield Office
390 Interlocken Crescent
Suite 350
Broomfield, CO 80021

Toll Free: 800-746-3560
Phone: 303-872-8919
Fax: 303-464-8000
Broomfield Law Office Map

Denver Office
1660 Lincoln Street
Suite 2000
Denver, CO 80264

Toll Free: 800-746-3560
Phone: 303-395-4773
Denver Law Office Map

Breckenridge Office
106 North French Street
Suite 230
Breckenridge, CO 80424

Toll Free: 800-746-3560
Phone: 970-285-3077
Breckenridge Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.