Ciancio Ciancio Brown, P.C.
Book Now

Denver (303) 395-4773 Broomfield (303) 872-8919

Breckenridge (970) 285-3077 Toll-Free (800) 746-3560

We want to assure you during these challenging times that Ciancio Ciancio Brown, P.C. is open for business and providing our full range of legal services. Our attorneys, paralegals, and staff are available to meet with you for new and existing legal matters by conference call and video conferencing. Please call our main line at 303-451-0300 and we will get you connected. We are here to assist you with all of your ongoing legal needs.

Leaders in Litigation

What are my options regarding child custody?

If you and your spouse are facing divorce, you may have many questions about your child custody options in Colorado. While these arrangements can differ greatly from family to family, there are a few different choices commonly available that will ensure both you and your ex-spouse can continue playing an important role in your child’s life.

As stated by the American Bar Association, there is a difference between legal and physical custody. Legal custody refers to the decision-making process pertaining to important issues in a child’s life (such as education and health care). Conversely, physical custody is defined as the amount of time you and your spouse spend with a child. When determining physical custody, you are typically free to design your parenting schedule based on what works for your family. Some parents may allocate time spent equally, while others may prefer to spend weekends with their children.

You are also free to establish joint custody with your ex-spouse. This is when each parent shares in the decision-making role equally and spends the same amount of time with a child. In many cases you will be directed to a mediator to help facilitate difficult decisions from an objective standpoint. For instance, conflict may arise over the proper method of discipline or other issues, and a mediator can help your family come to a reasonable agreement.

Sole custody is another option available to you. In this case, the parent who makes the majority of decisions and spend the most time with a child is referred to as the custodial parent (while the parent who spends less time is known as the non-custodial parent). To this end, the non-custodial parent will most likely request visitation rights in order to be a part of a child’s life in a meaningful way. 

Email us your case details

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Broomfield Office
390 Interlocken Crescent
Suite 350
Broomfield, CO 80021

Toll Free: 800-746-3560
Phone: 303-872-8919
Fax: 303-464-8000
Broomfield Law Office Map

Denver Office
1660 Lincoln Street
Suite 2000
Denver, CO 80264

Toll Free: 800-746-3560
Phone: 303-395-4773
Denver Law Office Map

Breckenridge Office
106 North French Street
Suite 230
Breckenridge, CO 80424

Toll Free: 800-746-3560
Phone: 970-285-3077
Breckenridge Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.