Ciancio Ciancio Brown, P.C.
Book Now

Denver (303) 395-4773 Broomfield (303) 872-8919

Breckenridge (970) 285-3077 Toll-Free (800) 746-3560

Denver (303) 395-4773 Toll-Free (800) 746-3560

Leaders in Litigation

How long do child support payments continue in Colorado?

While the law in many states says that child support should end around a child's 18th birthday, Colorado is different.

In fact, under Colorado law, child support obligations typically continue at least until the child turns 19-years-old, which is the general age of emancipation in Colorado. However, it is important to note that there are several exceptions to this rule - meaning child support may end earlier or last even longer, depending on the circumstances.

Extending or shorting child support durations

Even though emancipation occurs - and child support normally ends - when a child turns 19 in Colorado, there are several circumstances in which child support payments may continue longer, or terminate earlier, including:

  • If a child is still in high school, child support payments continue until a month after his or her graduation.
  • If a child drops out of high school, but later reenrolls, he or she is entitled to child support until a month after graduation, but in no instance can support continue beyond his or her 21st birthday.
  • If a child is physically or mentally disabled, child support can be ordered beyond the age of 19.
  • If a child gets married before his or her 19th birthday, he or she will be considered emancipated, meaning child support may end early. However, if his or her marriage is dissolved, annulled or determined to be invalid, child support can be reinstated.
  • If a child joins the military before his or her 19th birthday, he or she will be considered emancipated and child support will end early.

As you can imagine, navigating child support law in Colorado can be complex, which is why it is always best to seek experienced legal guidance should you have any questions.

Also, it is important to remember that just because a person cannot terminate child support payments doesn't mean he or she cannot seek a modification. Talk to an attorney today if you would like to learn more.

Email us your case details

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Westminster Office
8704 Yates Drive
Westminster, CO 80031

Toll Free: 800-746-3560
Phone: 303-451-0300
Map & Directions

Denver Office
1660 Lincoln Street
Suite 2000
Denver, CO 80264

Toll Free: 800-746-3560
Phone: 303-395-4773
Denver Law Office Map

Breckenridge Office
106 North French Street
Suite 230
Breckenridge, CO 80424

Toll Free: 800-746-3560
Phone: 970-285-3077
Breckenridge Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.