Ciancio Ciancio Brown, P.C.
Book Now

Denver (303) 395-4773 Westminster (303) 872-8919

Breckenridge (970) 285-3077 Toll-Free (800) 746-3560

Denver (303) 395-4773 Toll-Free (800) 746-3560

Leaders in Litigation

Death by distraction: What to do if you lose someone to a distracted driving crash

Every year, thousands of people are impacted by distracted drivers. It's well-known that either reading or sending a text can take up to five seconds, which means that a driver won't be looking at the road at all during that time. Spilling drinks, dropping hot food, getting into an argument with other passengers and other issues can also result in serious consequences. 

It takes only around three seconds for a crash to occur. If someone you love has been hit and killed as a result of a driver not paying attention, then you are in a position to seek compensation. You can pursue a wrongful death lawsuit to hold the driver accountable for their actions and to pursue compensation for losses such as:

  • Medical expenses
  • Travel costs
  • Loss of consortium
  • Loss of companionship
  • Burial expenses
  • Funeral expenses
  • Benefits
  • Lost wages
  • Pain and suffering well as many other financial losses.

Distractions take lives every day

The unfortunate reality is that distractions do take lives every day. Around nine people die daily as a result of crashes that involve distracted drivers. Fortunately, family members may be able to seek compensation as a way of holding that driver liable for the impact they've had on their family.

Who can seek compensation after a family member dies?

After a family member passes away, a few people have the right to seek compensation through a wrongful death claim. Those individuals may include spouses and heirs (such as their children) or the parent of the deceased.

Unfortunately, the courts in Colorado do not allow friends or siblings to seek recovery. If your parent passed away and was married, then only their spouse will be able to seek compensation during the first year after the collision. During the second year, you would be able to do so. Aunts, uncles and cousins are excluded from filing wrongful death claims.

Seeking financial recovery won't bring back the person you love, but it may help you get through this situation and have a better financial outlook as a result. Your attorney will work closely with you to make sure you are fairly compensated for what you are going through.

Email us your case details

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Westminster Office
8704 Yates Drive
Westminster, CO 80031

Toll Free: 800-746-3560
Phone: 303-451-0300
Map & Directions

Denver Office
1660 Lincoln Street
Suite 2000
Denver, CO 80264

Toll Free: 800-746-3560
Phone: 303-395-4773
Denver Law Office Map

Breckenridge Office
106 North French Street
Suite 230
Breckenridge, CO 80424

Toll Free: 800-746-3560
Phone: 970-285-3077
Breckenridge Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.