Lawyers for all of life’s challenges
Denver Contempt of Court and Modification Lawyer

Denver Contempt of Court and Modification Lawyer

Many aspects of a divorce or parental arrangement can be modified by the consent of each party or via court order. This is crucial as many arrangements that make sense at the time they are put in place fail to meet the reality of a situation years down the road. When modification becomes necessary or one party fails to uphold his or her end of the agreement, it is important to have the advice and representation of a knowledgeable Denver modification and contempt of court lawyer.

At Ciancio Ciancio Brown, P.C., modification and contempt is a special area of expertise for our Denver family law lawyers. We have the experience and resources our clients need on their side to achieve successful outcomes in modification and contempt cases.

Our team has particular expertise handling modification cases centered on spouses who are cohabiting with a new partner. Our Denver modification attorneys are available to speak on this topic and have had our work on the subject published by The Colorado Lawyer.

When Modification Becomes Necessary

In order for modification to be approved, there must be a significant material change. For example, the loss of a job or the start of a new career could lead to modification of child support due to the change in a parent’s income. Allocation of parental responsibility could be modified due to the changing needs of a child or a parent seeking to relocate. Common reasons behind requests to modify child support or custody orders include:

  • The loss of a job or a significant demotion
  • Gaining a new job or getting a raise
  • Having another child with someone else
  • An increase or decrease in necessary childcare costs
  • A new child injury, condition or disability
  • A change in the number of overnight visits with either parent
  • One parent being relocated at work
  • A child who has left home or become emancipated

The courts will not grant a modification request if there has not been a substantial change in your circumstances since the original order was given. For financial grounds for modification, for example, you generally must show at least a 10 percent change from the first order. You will need to give a good reason and support it with evidence. Our Denver modification attorneys can help you determine whether your situation represents a material change in circumstances and diligently pursue an outcome that protects your interests.

How to Request a Modification of a Court Order or Divorce Decree in Colorado

In Colorado, you must request a modification to a divorce decree or another type of court order in writing. Start by gathering information supporting your request, as the courts will ask to see this during the modification process. The courts will need documentation that proves your change in circumstance. Note that if you created the change yourself, such as by quitting your job and refusing to search for a new one, the courts will not grant your request. The change in circumstance must be outside of your control or necessary.

You can request a modification either as the person who has experienced a change in circumstance or as the other spouse, such as if you know your ex-spouse got a new job with a higher salary but he or she hasn’t reported the new income to the courts. Once you have evidence supporting your request, discuss the situation with your ex. If you can both agree to the modification, the legal process is simpler. You will file a stipulation with the same court that issued the initial decree for approval. If approved, the new order will go into effect immediately.

If you and your ex don’t agree on the change, you will need to file a Motion to Modify with the court along with a sworn affidavit with your financial disclosures and a child support worksheet that shows how you calculated the new amount. Your ex-spouse will need to be served with a copy of the motion and given the chance to contest the change at a hearing. Your divorce decree may stipulate that you have to attend mediation before a court hearing, depending on the situation.

Enforcement and Contempt Orders

Even when both parties agree on a course of action for modifying an agreement or court order, it is important to go through proper channels to obtain court approval. Otherwise, either party could be found in contempt of court. Being found in contempt means the courts penalize an individual for failing to uphold his or her end of a court order or divorce agreement. A contempt order for ignoring a child support or child custody order could lead to the following penalties:

  • A modification of child support or the parenting plan
  • Mandatory parental education program (at the expense of the parent)
  • Mandatory family counseling (at the expense of the parent)
  • Required bond or security payment to ensure future compliance
  • Giving the other parent additional parenting time to make up for custody infringements
  • A civil fine of up to $100 per incident
  • Jail time for the noncomplying parent, in some cases
  • Other actions that are in the best interest of the child

Whether you wish to hold your ex-spouse in contempt of court for breaching your agreement or are facing contempt orders in Denver, Ciancio Ciancio Brown, P.C. can help you. We are able to assist people who are pursuing contempt orders as well as defend against these orders in courts throughout Colorado. We can work to prove that you did not in fact violate a court order, for example, or aim to show that your ex-spouse is in breach of a divorce agreement. Your Denver contempt of court lawyer will work hard to achieve your case goals, whatever they may be.

Contact Our Denver Firm for Assistance With Modifications & Contempt Orders in Denver

The Denver modification and contempt of court attorneys at Ciancio Ciancio Brown, P.C. have over 100 years of combined legal experience. We will use our expertise in family law to assist you with your unique legal matter in Denver, Colorado. Our law firm is ready to guide you to the best possible outcome in your modification of contempt case. Contact us to schedule a case evaluation with our Denver modification lawyers.


Litigation is a journey. This is a journey we have taken with our clients a countless number of times. If you face the uncertainty, risk, fear, anger, or disbelief that comes with the prospect of going through a legal dispute, the law firm of Ciancio Ciancio Brown, P.C. will help you through it.