Can back child support affect international travel?

Published By | Sep 9, 2017 | Divorce & Family Law |

If you have been struggling with child support payments, it is important for you to do what you can to keep yourself from falling behind. In Colorado, parents may lose the ability to pay child support for different reasons, especially if they suffer from an unanticipated health issue or lose their job. However, it is pivotal to look into any options during these trying times, such as the modification of a child support order. Child support delinquency can result in wage garnishment and arrest, but it can also carry other consequences, such as preventing someone from leaving the country.

According to the U.S. Department of State, those who have back child support that exceeds $2,500 are not able to obtain a U.S. passport. As a result, people who owe at least $2,500 in back child support should pay their child support arrears prior to submitting their passport application. In fact, the process to have one’s name removed from the list can take a few weeks, so it is important for you to get caught up in a timely manner if you have fallen behind.

Being unable to secure a passport can create different challenges. For example, you might need to travel for business purposes, only to find that you are unable to leave the U.S. Or, perhaps you want to head overseas to participate in a wedding or attend a funeral, which could be impossible due to unpaid child support. Please understand that no aspect of this post serves as an alternative to legal recommendations.