Applying for a passport with back child support

Published By | Jun 2, 2018 | Child Support |

Falling behind on the child support you owe may complicate your life in all sorts of ways. Many people realize the seriousness of the threat of being taken into custody, sustaining damage to one’s reputation and financial penalties such as the interception of a tax refund. However, back child support may create a number of other challenges in your life. For example, you may not be able to obtain a passport in the U.S. if you owe a certain amount of unpaid child support.

Losing your eligibility to secure a passport could create a variety of problems in your life. Whether you intend to travel for sightseeing purposes or had plans to head overseas on a business trip, unpaid child support could completely derail these plans. If you have been planning a vacation for a number of years or were hoping to travel on an important work-related trip, this can be devastating.

In order to regain your eligibility to obtain a passport, you will need to get caught up on your child support. Setting up a payment plan for some people can be tough, but it is important to do what you can to get rid of the back child support you owe. Moreover, you may be able to reduce what you owe or prevent these problems altogether by modifying your child support order. Our family law section will give you access to more material that is related to unpaid child support and many other divorce-related topics that people struggle with.