Child support can be intercepted from more than your paycheck

Child support can be intercepted from more than your paycheck

Get a Free Consultation

Owing child support may become a consuming burden. Though you worked hard to make payments, your expenses prove too great, and you begin falling behind in your support. Most often, a judge orders a percentage of your income to pay for child support upon your divorce. However, if you cannot pay, Colorado laws state that your biweekly earnings may not be the only income subject to interception.

CSS and continuing child support

The Colorado Department of Human Services works with Child Support Services (CSS) to provide necessary funds to children with divorced parents. In court, you may recall a judge, alongside attorneys, determining a specific amount of child support you are ordered to pay until your child turns 18.

In situations where your payments become past due, federal law gives CSS the ability to intercept funds from other areas of your income, so that your child may be financially provided for. CSS may take money from your:

  • Federal or Colorado state tax returns:Should the government owe you refunded taxes, CSS holds the ability to intercept these returns.
  • Lottery winnings: If you win significant cash in the lottery, CSS may determine these earnings as belonging to your non-custodial child.
  • Gambling payments:If you win money at the casino or race track, CSS has authority to obtain these records and designate the winnings to your owed child support.
  • Unclaimed property: CSS may determine it is necessary to repossess your unclaimed property as payment for your missing child support.

Colorado CSS even holds the authority to seize information regarding your finances held in your bank.

Remember that CSS works to provide the required support that your child needs. Should you avoid paying for child support, federal government gives Colorado CSS the authority to obtain sufficient funds by other means.

If you find yourself unable to pay for support due to a job loss or medical problems, consider discussing your circumstances with an experienced attorney. He or she may guide you in the right direction in obtaining a court-ordered reduction of payments or help you in finding another restitutive outcome.