Paying child support after losing a job

Paying child support after losing a job

Get a Free Consultation

Many different challenges may arise for non-custodial parents, from those involving child custody and visitation to problems with a former partner. However, child support issues can be especially complex and they may affect parents in different ways. For example, some parents may be unable to pay child support as a result of financial hardships, while others may purposely withhold payments because they are upset. Sometimes, non-custodial parents simply cannot pay what they owe because of a major change in their lives, such as the loss of a job that they were counting on.

If your position was recently terminated unexpectedly, you may be completely unsure of how to move forward. However, you should recognize the importance of staying current on your child support payments, not only to provide your child with the care they depend on but to avoid the potentially harsh consequences associated with delinquency (tax refund interception, losing your passport privileges, arrest and so on). You may feel as if you have nowhere to turn and there are no options on the table, but you could be missing a vital lifeline that could help you stay caught up.

Aside from payment plans, which work out well for some people, you may be able to have your child support order modified. This can help lower the payments you are obligated to make and ensure that you do not fall behind. However, there are requirements that must be met in order for a child support order to be modified, so it is important to cover all the bases.

If you need help arranging child support payments and modifying current arrangements, you should speak with a trusted Denver family lawyer from Ciancio Ciancio Brown. They can help you ensure that your rights are protected and provide you the best course of action on what to do.