4 steps to take after a crash with a drunk driver

4 steps to take after a crash with a drunk driver

Get a Free Consultation

When you’re hit by another driver whom you can tell is impaired, it’s important for you to take action to make sure that they are held liable for the collision. Initially, you’ll want to call 911 and talk to the police, but making sure that you have information about the case and your injuries is important, too.

There are several things you should do if you’re involved in a crash with a drunk driver. Here are four to remember.

  1. Get the police involved

The first thing to do after a crash is to get the police involved. When you call 911, tell the operator if there are any injuries and make sure that an emergency medical team is sent to the scene. The police will usually arrive first to provide aid, so be prepared if they want to talk to you.

  1. Tell the police everything you remember about the driver’s actions

Stick to the facts. If you saw the other driver was drinking something before they hit you, tell them. If you spoke to the other driver and they smelled of alcohol, let them know. Any information you can give them to help them understand what happened is helpful, but don’t say or do anything that may imply that you could be at fault.

  1. Get medical care

Once the police and EMTs are at the scene, go in for medical attention. You need to have a physical exam even if you don’t think that you’re hurt. This exam may discover injuries you weren’t aware of, such as delayed-onset injuries, which you need to have treated as soon as possible.

  1. Talk to your attorney

Finally, once you are medically stable, you should talk to your attorney about the collision and get them involved. Getting hit by a drunk driver is significant, and it’s important to make sure that the insurance claim you make includes that information.

After any kind of serious crash, it’s important that you have good representation and knowledge about the law. As a victim, you may have a right to compensation for your injuries.