Are you alienating your children from the other parent?

Are you alienating your children from the other parent?

Get a Free Consultation

Parental alienation is a serious offense in the eyes of a family court. A parent who actively tries to manipulate their child or turn them against the other parent looks vindictive and harmful.

If you’re a parent who wants what is best for your child, it’s important for you to take steps to avoid being seen as an alienating parent. Making negative statements about the other parent, communicating through your child instead of on your own, making negative social media posts that your child can see and other habits may lead to accusations of parental alienation that have to be addressed.

What should you do if you’re being accused of parental alienation?

If you are being accused of alienating your child against the other parent, it’s important for you to address the issue right away. For example, if your child has said that you called the other parent mean or abusive and the other parent contacts you, it would be in your best interests to correct that issue right away. For instance, you may sit down with the other parent and talk to your child about building a positive relationship with both of you and that you’ll both try to be positive about the other parent.

If there is evidence linking you to saying disparaging things about the other parent to your child or doing something that may manipulate your child’s opinion of the other parent, it will not look good for you in court. At that time, it would be in your best interests to know your legal rights and the laws that may impact what happens next. Showing that you’re willing to change hurtful behaviors may also help make a judge more lenient.

Child custody, and losing time with your child, can be frustrating for any parent, but trying to coax your child into coming to live with you or manipulating their time with the other parent isn’t a good idea. Build a parenting plan that gives you access but that is also fair to the other parent, so that your child can have a positive relationship with you both.